Saturday, August 14, 2010

Embarking on a South Beach Diet Journey

My husband was diagnosed as diabetic a couple years ago. For a while he was pre-diabetic and he was able to get things normal with diet. After a while the numbers were higher and he was declared diabetic and put on Metformin. He has struggled with this. I guess it's much like my experience with weight loss. The denial that "it's not that bad" or "I only ate a little of XYZ" or "I will watch my diet next week". Anyone who has done the weight loss game knows all of the excuses. And he's scared, frustrated, etc.

So, to help him, and myself, we're going low-carb with South Beach Diet again. The first two weeks are the hardest. You only eat veggies, meats, cheese, and some nuts (sparingly). This means if I take the girls to play at that clown restauraunt my options are salad, salad or salad. This is not a bad thing. I can still eat so much crap even when calorie counting. We're starting Monday to give us time to get things into/out of the house and make meal plans.

I did South Beach about 5 years or so ago when Gabby was 2 and I got 20lbs away from my ultimate goal. I guess at that point I felt I had arrived, I was "done", so I stopped caring. Stopped working out because at the time I had pre-paid for Curves and there was no childcare. I was home all summer with G and it was hard to workout and take her. Bleh. Membership ran out after a year and I just fell into my old patterns again.

Now, I have my husband and he has me for accountability. I have a new friend who has completed her weight loss journey and is on a maintaining journey. I have a friend who works out in O'Fallon I can meet up with and a friend who comes to Collinsville to work out so there is no reason I can't keep up a routine when I have positive folks around me to help.

I think I will post about our dinners here too, in case someone else needs LC ideas. My family is going to do this together.

No comments: