Tuesday, July 6, 2010

WHY?? Emotional eating... WHY??

So this morning we set out to go grocery shopping. The plan was to get groceries, come home and clean and then put them away. I left later than I planned on, and noticed the tire pressure light on the dash. Charles had told me it was on the other day and I assumed he took care of it because it wasn't on the last time I drove the car. I'm going down the frontage road and realize my car is driving funny. I pulled into a parking lot and see the tire is noticeably flat. I decide to go to a gas station, get gas (almost out) and air up the tire. I aired it up (75 cents?!? for AIR???) and decide I need to get it looked at because it probably wasn't safe to drive on very far, and I knew tomorrow I had to take Ruthie to the allergist in the morning.

So, I call Dobbs and they say it might be a few hours but they can get me in. Thankfully, my mom could come to get us and take us to the Burger King nearby which has a playland. We waited over 2 hours and then I called, they estimated another hour until they could get it in and finish it. So we sat a while longer then she took me to Dobbs and it was ready within 10 minutes of our arrival.

WHEW! So, I still needed milk, and Tide detergent. So, we run over to Target, by now we're hot, crabby and just plain TIRED. Got my stuff and decided to take the kids to QT for a slushie. I tell myself I'm getting a diet soda. I guess I was annoyed at how my day went and I sabotaged my diet for the day with some chips and soda. WHY?? I cannot tell you. Because now I feel awful for doing it. I am annoyed at myself. I know the food wouldn't make my troubles go away but I wanted it.

I also found out in the course of the day that I have eye dr appts in the afternoon for both girls. Thankfully they are at Children's in the afternoon so we can do the allergist and then go over to the eye center. I'm disapointed in how my day tomorrow is going to be too. I know being sad over tomorrow being insane didn't help me this afternoon. So, I'm going to leave tomorrow at 9am, and most likely since the last dr appt is at 2, I may not even be home before rush hour. I'm dreading it!!!

Rebellion? Food addiction? I am not sure what to call it but for some reason I could not be strong any longer. Somehow in these situations I must reach within myself and find strength. And, it's not worth it to drink that many calories. So not worth it. :(

Anyone who's successfully stopped emotional eating, I'd love feedback. I need to find something that helps me get through the times. Part of me thinks going totally off Sunday was my problem because I had been a lot better with emotional eating until today. I guess my mind thinks it's ok because I did it Sunday and this morning I weighed the same.

I basically threw away my hard work!!!! If I don't watch it I'll be back where I started and I do NOT want to go back.

3 comments:

holynickel said...

1. don't beat yourself up...you see the issue work on it.

2. you can't do this in yourself...You can't reach inside and find. You have to turn to the Lord, instead of food. Replace the food with the Lord.

3. I have not yet mastered this.

hehehehe

Leighann said...

I thought to myself later on... did I pray about my stress? No... did I realize how great it was for mom to be free to pick us up, for the appts to be on the same day even if unexpected and frustrating... for dobbs to get me in today, and this to happen today and not tomorrow when I need to be going to St. Louis... so... there is good here...

Thanks for the feedback... I know you totally get this issue.

CSK said...

It sounds like food is the coping mechanism you've become accustomed to using first. It will take work to change that for sure, but experiences like this are vital to that process. Instead of beating yourself up (which we all like to do over our faults), look at it for what it is. God is helping you to see where you need change, ask Him for it and allow that process to keep moving. If you simply beat yourself up, you'll be more likely to resort to your comfort mechanism to treat that wound (which would be self-inflicted at that point).

I don't have the same issues with food, but I definitely understand having poor coping skills and being a perfectionist with very, very high expectations of myself (and no accompanying way to live up to them).

This is a bump in the road. You have not un-done all the work you did. Pick up, dust off, and keep going!