Thursday, July 1, 2010

Imago Dei

Perhaps the real kick in the butt came this past weekend at the Beth Moore Living Proof Live event. You might think it was the uncomfy chair, yes that was part of it... not fitting in the arena chairs makes one want to lose weight for sure!! But... it was the content of the sessions by Beth Moore that really got me thinking it is TIME... high time I work on my body... my attitude towards my body... and my spiritual self too.

When the tragedy hit with my family, I felt a lot of shame. I buried shame in food. Lots of food. Food was always there, growing up I dealt with arthritis pain starting from the age of 5... I couldn't always "do stuff" but I could eat. Food was a constant in my life for comfort. I know in some ways I put food above God... instead of praising when happy, eat. Instead of weeping before the Lord in prayer when sad, eat. Now, I did pray and I did praise but food was what "made me feel good". Then I'd gain more and feel bad, so you guessed it, more food.

I know people looked at me and wondered why I would eat so much when I was so heavy... like "doesn't she get it? she needs to LOSE, not GAIN!!" But the mindset I was in was that I couldn't lose the weight, that I didn't deserve to lose it and I never would so why try. A sad place to be in for sure.

Anyway, back to Beth Moore. So, the whole weekend was all about Imago Dei... that we are made in God's image. He put us here to bear His image. Wear it to bear it... I think is what she said. God chose me before the foundation of the Earth to bear His image... He chose me, arthritis, glaucoma, limp, insecurities... all of that and He chose me. Not because I was "good enough" or "deserving enough" but because He loved me. I sat there over the weekend soaking it all up. God wants me... as a Believer, to bear His image. I am good enough, but only because Christ died for my sins. I can't be good enough without Him.

And the thing that really got to me this weekend was we have to CHOOSE to put on the new man and put off the old man, the flesh. I make a choice when I get up if I am going to live my live as a follower of Christ and believe Him when He says how He sees me... or if I am going to be down, condemn myself to failure, etc. I truly felt God telling me... "Do you see how I see you? Do you get it now? You are worth it--you were worth it to me..."

I know I DO deserve health, to be fit, to care for my temple. I deserve to put on the new "man" I am in Christ and show the world that its by His strength that I am who I am.

I am fearfully and wonderfully made. God knit me together in my mother's womb. God called me, and His Son's sacrifice saved me. I am more than a conqueror.

No comments: